In early 1948, the citizen-owned & operated Equality Telephone Company made the transition into a fully-fledged corporation. Over the next several years, advances in technology led the way for Equality Telephone to repair and upgrade much of their infrastructure. One of the key improvements allowed Equality Telephone to evolve from a 14-party operator-handled service to a single-party rotary-dial service.
Equality Telephone Company acquired Hardin County Telephone Company in 1966. Like Equality Telephone in the 1940’s, the newly acquired system was in need of facility repair and upgrades. Once infrastructure improvements were made to bring Hardin County Telephone on par with Equality Telephone, one last task remained: switching from aerial to buried cable. The transition to buried cable was a costly and complicated task due to the large amount of service areas that lie within the Shawnee National Forest.