16 Ways to Attract LOTS of New Business
Most business owners find it difficult to figure out how to attract new clients.
Last week, I visited a new dentist for a checkup. She asked me about my work and I gave her my contact information. After I had finished explaining, she asked me "How do I attract new customers?" I answer this question often since I work in marketing and attracting new clients.
Most business owners find it difficult to figure out how to attract new clients. If you are a doctor, there is no need to search for new patients. They will find you. This is not true for all businesses. It is not easy to attract new customers.
Entrepreneurs start their businesses because they enjoy what they do and not because of the money they make. If you aren't good at attracting customers, your business will not survive.
How can you attract new customers? This article will show you 16 ways to increase your customer base.
1. Set goals to attract new customers
Every business must set goals. Setting goals can be a difficult task but it can also help you to stay motivated. These are some things to keep in mind as you set your goals.
- For new customers, set short-term and longer-term goals.
- You can start by focusing on short-term goals. This will help you reach your long-term goals.
Set Smart goals
- Specific: How many new customers would you like to acquire? Which channels (social media and referrals, Google search, etc.) are you using? What are you looking for?
- Measurable Determine the metrics that you will use to measure whether you have achieved your goals
- Attainable Analyze and determine the feasibility of each goal
- Relevant: Decide which goals should be your priorities in order to grow your business
- Time-bound Determine a timeframe to achieve each goal
2. Know your customers
If you don't know the customers, you won't be able to succeed in the market. It is important to create a buyer persona before you move forward with any plan. A buyer persona is simply a profile of the ideal customer for your company. It's important to not create too many buyer personas. However, having a few buyer personas can help improve your business's market targeting and attract leads.
For all the steps required to build a buyer persona, see our brand strategy template.
3. Determine which channels are most effective in attracting new consumers.
Businesses should meet potential customers through the channels that they use most. Do they use social media? Do they prefer email? Do they prefer meeting in person?
Gathering data from customers can help you determine the preferred way to contact your customers. But don't try to attract all your customers at once. Customers are joining multiple platforms every day and a multichannel marketing strategy is the best way to reach them.
4. Learn about the buying process
Find out where your customers are coming from to buy your product. These inbound channels will help you identify where you should focus your efforts and which ones might need improvement. These questions will help you determine the buying behavior of your customers.
- What are the methods customers use to get to your site? Are they using social media, SEO or other methods?
- Which page did they land on their first time?
- What do they do when they land on a page of text?
- Which pages or content did they read before making a purchase decision?
5. Find skilled employees and individuals to work for you.
It is no secret that great people make a great company. A good employee can bring in 10 new customers for your business. A bad employee can turn away 10 customers. You will need to find more employees to replace those customers.
Managers and business owners will also have difficulty achieving certain goals on their own. You will need to hire skilled, experienced and well-trained professionals in order to achieve this. You will be able to achieve your goals with the right people.
Equip your HR teams with the best software in order to attract the best talent and maintain them. You should use the same software as the talent that you hire. This list of human resource software can be used to help you find the best software for improving employee experience.
6. Know your competition
Any business should conduct competitive analysis. It doesn't mean that you should steal their ideas. It's about understanding their strengths and weaknesses. This information can help you to fine-tune and inform your business approach.
Analyzing your competitors is a great way to get to know your audience and what that information can do for your business. Is there a solution your audience is looking for that is not available in your competitors' products? Is your business able to offer this solution?
These are some of the ways you can gather information about your competitors:
- Analyze industry reports
- Look at their current products or services
- Evaluate the website of your competitors and determine SEO strategies
- Take note of their strengths and limitations (as a service provider, social media, etc.).
- Check out their content marketing strategy
- Check out their ratings and customer reviews
7. Analyze and improve your website
If you want to attract new customers, every business that has a website needs to ask the question: "Is your website providing value?" Websites are often flawed due to a lack of quality resources. To create a professional website, you can use plug-and-play templates such as Wix or ThemeForest.
Websites are becoming increasingly interactive and users will be more engaged by them. You can test the usability of your website using tools. Make sure users have an easy way to contact you and make purchases.
Also, ensure that your website has a consistent brand image across all pages. This will help you align with your marketing materials. You might consider a service like FirstSiteGuide if you are new to web design and development.
8. Use direct marketing to promote your business
Direct Response Marketing Gets potential customers to take specific actions right away. Direct response marketing is a way to get customers to sign up for your email list, or to provide contact information via a Lead Capture form. This will allow you to reach them and encourage them towards a purchase.
In exchange for your contact information, you might consider giving away free information such as an ebook or downloadable templates. Be sure to target your message to the main pain points of your target audience. Direct response marketing's goal is to address the needs of potential customers through immediate messaging, and then show them the value that your business can offer.
9. You may utilize social media to your advantage.
Your customers are active on social networks. It is also one the most cost-effective and efficient ways to reach existing customers as well as attract new ones. You can quickly get your brand noticed by large audiences if you use social networking platforms correctly.
You can improve your marketing efforts by focusing on building relationships via social media. This will help you build a loyal following.
These are some tips to help you attract new customers via social media.
- Find out which social media platforms your customers use.
- These sites allow you to create company profiles
- Engaging content about your industry and business should be posted
- You can also focus on other topics that are trending or interesting.
- Use hashtags and keywords that are relevant to your company
- Listen to and respond to feedback
10. Create outstanding and attractive content
It doesn't matter how well-crafted your marketing strategy is, people will talk about the content that you post. You might not have enough knowledge in your niche if your content doesn't generate much engagement or isn’t being well-received.
Your primary content goal should be to position yourself as an expert in your field. This will not only get you clicks and likes but also builds trust. A solid strategy is essential for content that excels. Here are some key tips:
- Before you begin writing, ensure that your topic is relevant to your audience.
- Make sure that every topic you select offers value for people.
- Answer your market's questions. You'll earn their trust by solving their problems. This will increase their likelihood of remembering you when they need your services or products again.
- To reach potential customers at different stages of consideration, you must understand the differences between top, middle, and bottom of the funnel content. You should create content that addresses all stages of your funnel.
- Your opinion on current topics in your industry
11. Offer a freebie or a reduced-cost product or service.
People love to get something for nothing, or at the very least, less than the asking cost. To attract new customers, you might consider introducing an introductory offer. Take this example:
- Ecommerce: Get a Discount on the First Purchase when a New Customer Signs Up for Your Email List
- Service Industries: Credit or Discounts on the First Service
- Subscriptions One-Month Free Trial
- Software: A free trial of premium services or a limited-featured version is available.
12. Form Partnerships
You might consider forming partnerships with businesses that are in the same niche as you or have the same audience (even though they may not be in direct competition). This will allow you to create a wider network of potential customers and to refer leads and prospects to one another.
For example, a landscaping company and a lawnmower shop could partner up and offer their customers free tune-ups for the landscaping equipment or discounted rates on lawnmowers.
13. Start an Affiliate Program
Your best advocates are your existing customers. Your existing customers are your best advocates. They know what benefits you offer and they will share it with others if they like it. You can use the customer referral program to bring in new customers by using your existing customers.
Referral programs allow customers to share their business with friends via just a few clicks. These friends are more likely than traditional advertising to trust their opinions and will be your new customers.
Referral programs that are the best use dual-sided rewards. This sweetens the deal for both existing customers as well as the friends they refer. Existing customers receive a reward for each successful referral. New customers are also incentivized to make their first purchase. Your business will have stronger customer relationships and better brand awareness. It's a win-win situation.
14. Don't be afraid to ask for referrals
You may not have thought of asking customers for referrals, but it can help you attract new customers. To increase your referral rate, put a system in place that allows you to follow up with your customers to get their feedback and make sure they are satisfied.
15. Reward New Customers
Another great way to attract new customers is by offering them rewards when they make their first purchase with you. This will encourage them to become repeat buyers and at the same time, they help you increase your sales.
Just like referral programs, there are dual-sided incentives that can be used here as well. For example:
Ecommerce: New customers who spend over $100 in their first purchase will receive a free gift.
16. Stick to your plan, commitment, and analyze the outcomes.
What if you seem to be behind on your quarterly plan? If things seem like they aren't going your way, still stay positive and stick to your plan throughout the quarter. Keep in mind that uncertainties are bound to happen, and don't be discouraged by the lack of results. Don't let a small hindrance keep you from going forward with your plan, because getting results from a detailed strategy often takes time. After the quarter is over, you can always evaluate your results and chart a new and informed path forward, based on the data you collected.