10 Twitter Definitions You Need to Know
Twitter is quickly becoming an essential part of any online business marketing strategy. Here are 10 basic Twitter definitions you need to know.
Twitter is quickly becoming an essential part of any businesses marketing strategy. Whether you use it for your customer service, social media marketing, or online community building, Twitter can get you more leads and sales.
Here are 10 basic Twitter definitions you need to know:
- @connect: The @connect button shows your interactions and mentions. You can send someone a tweet by using their handle and they will see this in their @connect feed.
- DM: Direct Message. You can send reciprocated followers a direct message. It is a private message.
- Follower: A follower is a Twitter user who has clicked on your "follow" button and is subscribed to your tweets. Generally, the more followers you have, the wider reach you have on Twitter.
- Handle: Your Twitter handle is your username. For example @wishpond means you can find us at www.twitter.com/wishpond.
- Hashtags: #'s Hashtags are a word or phrases words after the number sign (#). Hashtags are a way to organize topics. They are a very important part of Twitter. They can contribute to making your tweets go viral, and creating and connecting with communities around the world on Twitter. With hashtags you can, for example:
- Make your own #, to promote a particular product or contest;
- Join popular #'s to get your message heard further and increase brand awareness;
- Search for hashtags, to learn about topics. For example, #socialmedia is a hashtag for tweets about social media.
- Lists: Twitter lets you categorize your followings. This is a great way to follow certain groups of customers or information sources, particularly when you are starting out, or when you follow many fellow twitterers. You can, for example, make a list of your best customers.
- RT: Retweet. A Retweet is when your tweet gets shared. Twitter is all about sharing things that your followers might find interesting, useful, or entertaining. When you use Twitter successfully, your Tweets will get retweeted. This expands your reach exponentially, as your tweet is seen in the retweeter's timeline to their followers, and so on.
- Timeline: Your Twitter timeline is your homepage. It is your list of followers updates. It is also where your tweets appear to your followers. Your list is constantly being updated, in real time. Some people also call this a Twitter feed.
- Trending: When a hashtag or topic is the most popular on Twitter, it becomes trending. Your Twitter homepage has a list of the top ten Trends, on the left hand side. These are constantly being updated, and they are tailored to you and who you are following. You can change your Trend by geographic location.
- Tweet: The most basic of definitions your need to know. A tweet is a message posted via Twitter containing 140 characters or fewer.
Krista Bunskoek is a Content Marketer at Wishpond. Wishpond creates social marketing tools tools for business. Their apps work on Twitter, Facebook, websites and mobile. Learn about their social marketing suite.