By: Javi Calderon
on Sunday, September 12, 2010
A Quick Guide to Effective Business Signs
In many cases the appeal of your business sign is what brings a customer in through your doors, and obviously, it is always the first thing that they see. You may be thinking that it’s your services that they’re looking for that brings them in, however, what distinguishes you from your competitors that offer the same things? Your sign. Professionally it is always important to make a good first impression, and that stands for your business as well. Your business sign is the first impression you give your customers, and it will be the basis of their opinion of your business. An effective business sign will capture their attention, provide information and show that you are professional and trustworthy.
The Small Business Association
has observed that business signs are the most cost-effective – highest value – form of advertisement for a small business. While spending less money on signs than on TV, newspaper or magazine ads, signs will have a more direct impact on increased sales and awareness. Studies have shown that placing just one sign outside of your business can increase sales by 30%! Those are staggering numbers that show just how important business signs can be.
How Sign Design Can Make a Difference
By creating effective and memorable custom signs you can increase customer interest, knowledge and retention of your products or services. Whether you own a clothing boutique in New York
, a surf shop in California
, or a deli in Florida
, creative and eye-catching signs are crucial for the growth and success of your small business. The next step is analyzing the small design choices that can really make a difference. Following are some helpful tips so you can spend your advertising money wisely on signs that are designed to draw your customers’ attention:
• Studies have shown that an ad that features a photograph will be retained 300% more than an ad without a photo. In other words, customers are 3 times more likely to remember your ad and the information on it if it displays a photograph.
• Signs that display large, bold graphics in full color have been shown to draw people’s attention much more than signs that don’t. Choose graphics that show depth and give a three-dimensional appearance.
• When reading a sign that is not defined by a border, readers tend to get lost and disinterested. Signs that are rimmed with a border help focus the readers’ attention and allows them to read faster.
• On a sign that displays text, displaying key information (prices, key words, etc.) in a different color increases the retention of that information by over 75%!
• Make sure to use contrasting colors for the background and the text, if the colors are too close customers will struggle to read the text and will therefore not retain the information. It is best to use a dark background with bright, legible letters in the foreground.
• Choose colors that stand out from the background of your office or business. For example if your walls are green, and the background of your sign is green the sign will blend in instead of standing out. You want your signs to catch your customers’ eye!
Choose a Logo and we'll add your business name within 24 hours at 99Designs.com
Creative signs are a great way to promote your business and increase customer awareness and interest in your products. Any company that offers printing services
can help you make stylistic decisions to create the right message for your business. If you’re looking to separate yourself from the competition and give your business a professional and colorful edge, use these simple design tips to create eye-catching and effective signs to entice your customers.